Cumin spiced chantenay & lentil salad with mango chicken
Fruity mango chicken with spicy and sweet chantenay carrots and lentils - this will certainly make your tastebuds tingle!
What you need:
For the lentil salad you'll need:
- 150g puy lentils
- 300g Chantenay carrots
- 1 tsp Bart Spices cumin seeds
- 6 tbsp Hill Farm cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 Bart Spices cardamom pods, crushed and seeds removed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
For the mango chicken you'll need:
- 8 chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp hot curry paste
- 1 tbsp Hill Farm cold pressed rapeseed oil
- Juice 1 lemon
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Mix together the mango chutney, curry paste, oil and lemon juice and marinate the chicken for 1 -2 hours.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, basting frequently, until almost cooked. Turn the oven up to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6, and cook the chicken for a further 10 minutes until well browned and crisp.
- For the lentil salad, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Cook the lentils on the hob in plenty of water for 20 - 25 minutes, and drain well. Place the Chantenay in a roasting tin with 2 tbsp of cold pressed rapeseed oil and the cumin seeds. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Whisk together the remaining oil, red onion, garlic, cardamom and lime juice. Stir this mixture into the cooked lentils, along with the roasted carrots, tomatoes and coriander, and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve the lentil and Chantenay salad with the mango chicken.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Chantenay is a small sweet variety of carrot with crisp, orange flesh and a tender texture. Five Chantenay carrots count as one portion towards the recommended five portions of fruit and veg we should eat each day.
More from Chantenay carrots
A fantastic winter warmer with sweet Chantenay carrots, tender chunks of steak in a rich gravy with filling dumplings.
Leg or shoulder of lamb with sweet carrots and spring vegetables is a great Sunday dish, just make sure you've got a big helping of redcurrant jelly handy
If you love olives, you'll love this recipe and the good news is this rice salad's really good for you too!
Popular in chicken recipes
For a quick and easy evening meal, chicken, leek and Cheddar bake, with melt in the mouth cheese, will be a firm family favourite that takes just 10 minutes to prepare
While you're getting this together, why not double up on the ingredients and freeze a lovely chicken and leek pie for another time?
Easy to prepare, these chicken dippers are perfect handed round at parties!