Chilli bean soup
This filling, mildly spicy main-meal soup is perfect for cold days
- Cooking: 25 mins
- Serves: 2
What you need:
- Butter 25g (1oz)
- Onion 1, peeled and chopped
- Celery 2 sticks, sliced
- Red pepper 1, deseeded and chopped
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Chopped tomatoes 400g can
- Red kidney beans 220g can, drained
- Vegetable stock cube 1, crumbled
- Black treacle 1 tbsp
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
What you do:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion and celery and cook over a medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften. Then add the red pepper to the pan and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes. Add the chilli powder and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, stock cube, treacle and 175ml (6fl oz) water to the pan and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer the soup for 10 - 15 minutes, adjusting with some extra water if necessary. Season the soup to taste just before serving and ladle into warm bowls.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Dairy Diary 2011 - Good Food Fast
Good Food Fast, the latest Dairy Cookbook, will make cooking enjoyable again even when you are short of time. Each recipe can be cooked in 30 minutes or less. Get it for £9.99 from Dairy Diary.
More from Dairy Diary 2011 - Good Food Fast
Rich and tasty, these no-bake slices are deceptively easy and guaranteed to be popular
This soup is so rich and tasty you'll never want to have canned tomato soup again.
Popular in soup recipes
Spice up a simple tomato soup recipe with chilli and paprika, then serve with a dollop of sour cream and chive dip and warm crusty bread
This is such a great soup if you've just battled through wind and rain to get home. Serve with muffins or crusty bread
Healthy and full of vitamins, this soup is also a great winter warmer and it's made with soya, so it's vegan too!