Baked onion soup with wholemeal cheese cobblers
The days might be warm, but if the evenings are chilly this soup's a perfect evening meal
- Preparation: 20 mins
- Cooking: 35 mins
- Serves: 4
What you need:
- 50g butter
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 225g self-raising wholemeal flour + 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 litre beef stock
- 50g reduced fat hard cheese, grated (e.g. Cheddar)
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Heat 10g of the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onions for 15 minutes covered, until softened and golden. Add 2 tbsp flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and stock and bring to the boil stirring. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub the remaining butter into the 225g flour to form breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and seasoning and stir in enough of the milk to form a dough. Knead slightly on a floured surface then roll out to 1.5cm thick and cut 8 circles using a 7cm round cutter.
- Place on top of the soup and bake for a further 15 minutes until cooked.
Try adding a dash of white wine with the stock to give an extra rich flavour.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
is an independent campaign which aims to raise awareness of the health benefits and versatility of wholegrains.
More from Wholegrain goodness
With wholewheat spaghetti, low-fat cheese and semi-skimmed milk, this recipe is healthy and you can add your own favourite ingredients to it too
Contains three of your five-a-day plus two servings of wholegrain per person. The recipe is low in saturated fat and salt.
Delicious and healthy - yes, the two can go together in this lovely granola dessert topping
Popular in soup recipes
Spice up a simple tomato soup recipe with chilli and paprika, then serve with a dollop of sour cream and chive dip and warm crusty bread
This is such a great soup if you've just battled through wind and rain to get home. Serve with muffins or crusty bread
Healthy and full of vitamins, this soup is also a great winter warmer and it's made with soya, so it's vegan too!