Ale & mushroom puff pastry pie with champ
A fantastic ale and mushroom pie recipe perfect to warm you up when it's chilly outside and you want something tasty and filling
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
What you need:
- Vegan margarine 100g
- 2 large bunches spring onions
- 550g small chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp yeast extract
- 300-350ml light vegan ale
- 210g ready rolled puff pastry
- 800g floury potatoes, peeled
- 100ml unsweetened soya milk
What you do:
- Preheat Oven to Gas 6/200C/400F.
- Melt 50g of margarine in a large non-stick frying pan (you may find it easier to do in two batches). Chop the bottom 7cm part of the spring onions roughly and sauté briefly. Save the tops as you will need them later.
- Cut the mushrooms into 5mm slices and add into the pan. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes until starting to colour, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Take off the heat and sprinkle the cornflour over. Once back on the hob add the Marmite and 300ml of ale. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to soften. Use more ale if the mixture seems too dry.
- Divide the mixture into 4 small soufflé/ceramic pie dishes. Cut out 4 circles of the pastry and place on top, leaving some room to rise. Brush with soya milk and make a small hole in the top to let the steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks and boil until soft but not falling apart. Drain and empty back into the pan to dry slightly. Add the remaining 50g margarine and mash very well. Finely chop the remaining green part of the spring onions and add, with enough soya milk, to make a smooth mash.
Recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
The Vegetarian Society is a registered charity committed to promoting the health, environmental and welfare benefits of a vegetarian diet.
More from Vegetarian Society
These Halloween snails look deliciously slimy. Who's going to be brave enough to take the first bite?
Need some get up and go in the morning? This smoothie is just what you need. Ready, steady...
A vegetarian and vegan dish full of flavour with leeks, wild mushroom and ginger all tucked up in flaky pastry