Dwarf bean & ham cannelloni
There's no beef in this cannelloni, just a bit of ham and the main component is healthy, crunchy beans!
- Preparation: 20 mins
- Cooking: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
What you need:
- 200g dwarf beans, topped and tailed
- 8 dried lasagne sheets
- 8 thin slices ham
- 1 x 350g jar tomato sauce for pasta
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
For the bechamel sauce:
- 300ml milk
- 1 slice onion
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 25g butter
- 20g flour
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 200ËC/400ËF/Gas Mark 6.
- To start the bechamel sauce, put the milk into a small saucepan, add the onion, peppercorns and bay leaf and bring just up to the boil. Take the pan off the heat and leave to infuse while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the beans in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the lasagne sheets in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, or according to pack instructions. Drain and pat dry.
- Lay the sheets of lasagne out on a board. Top each with a slice of ham and divide the beans into 8 portions. Place a portion of beans at one end of each lasagne/ham slice and roll up so that you end up with 8 cannelloni rolls. Set aside.
- To finish the bechamel sauce, strain the milk you heated earlier and discard the flavourings. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook over a low heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and slowly add the strained milk, stirring well to combine. Put the pan back on the heat and bring slowly up to the boil, stirring constantly to stop any lumps from forming. Simmer the thickened sauce for 2 minutes.
- To assemble, take an ovenproof dish which will hold the cannelloni rolls laid side by side. Put the tomato sauce in the base of the dish. Lay the cannelloni rolls on top of the tomato sauce and spoon the bechamel sauce over. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes until hot through and golden brown on top.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Pure soy wax candles in Flack Fig & Vetiver or Lemon fragrances - perfect for any dinner party or romantic night in.
Buy now on Etsy
British beans and peas
British beans and peas evoke the taste of summers gone by. From June to September every year savour some of the freshest British Runner, Broad and Dwarf Beans and Peas that are home grown and bursting with goodness.
More from British beans and peas
Crunchy runner beans with fresh peas and healthy couscous - this is a super healthy vegetarian dish
Red wine and blue cheese in a risotto? The perfect, easy adult dinner
If you've got vegetarians over for dinner and no idea what to cook - this is an easy and delicious recipe
Popular in cannelloni recipes
A great and versatile supper time solution, this Loyd Grossman bake gives everyone from the budding chef to the culinary novice a chance to get a creative in the kitchen.
Chef Peter Sidwell says: 'The creaminess of the ricotta works perfectly in this recipe but, I have to admit, I'm a sucker for the crispy bits!