This is a gorgeous creamy soup with a bold mushroom flavour suitable for vegetarians and for freezing for a winter's day when you can't be bothered to go to the shops
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for freezing
Calories per portion: 118 Kcal
Fat per portion 8.5g of which saturated 4.2g
What you need:
- Butter 25g (loz)
- Onion 1 large, peeled and finely chopped
- Dried porcini mushrooms 15g (½oz), soaked in 225ml (8fl oz) boiling water
- Large, flat, brown-skinned mushrooms 400g (14oz), wiped and roughly chopped
- Vegetable stock 600ml (1 pint)
- Milk 500ml (18fl oz)
- Lemon 1, juice only
- Single cream
- Toasted pine nuts
- Snipped chives
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook over a moderate heat until softened but not browned.
What you do:
- Strain the liquid from the porcini and add the drained porcini with the fresh mushrooms to the saucepan.
- Stir in the stock and milk and bring just to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly and purée in a blender or food processor.
- Season well, and add lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with a swirl of cream and toasted pine nuts and chives.
Dried porcini add a rich depth to this soup, they also taste good made into risotto for a store cupboard supper topped with a little crispy bacon or grated cheese.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Just One Pot cookbook
The new ‘Just One Pot’ Dairy cookbook is priced at £9.75 (plus £2 P&P). To order a copy or for further information call 0845 0948 128, speak to your local milkman or visit www.dairydiary.co.uk.
Popular in soup recipes
Spice up a simple tomato soup recipe with chilli and paprika, then serve with a dollop of sour cream and chive dip and warm crusty bread
This is such a great soup if you've just battled through wind and rain to get home. Serve with muffins or crusty bread
Containing two of your five a day, this easy soup is good for you and will warm you up from the inside out!