Three tiered Welsh omelette
Alison McSorley's three-tiered Welsh omelette was judged a winner by celebrity chef Paul Merrett in British Lion Eggs' Eggs Factor competition
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 25-27 mins
What you need:
- 225g/8oz potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 large Lion Quality Eggs
- 60ml/4 tbsp milk
- salt and ground black pepper
- 45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 100g/4oz Caerphilly cheese, grated
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 60ml/4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs such as basil, coriander and thyme
What you do:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 mins or until tender. Drain. Whilst the potatoes cook, beat the eggs with the milk and a little seasoning.
- Preheat the grill. Heat the 1 tbsp of oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, add the potatoes. leeks and onion and sauté for 3 mins. Pour a third of the egg mixture into the pan and cook for about 3 mins or until the base has set. Sprinkle over a quarter of the cheese and pop the pan under the grill. Cook for 1-2mins or until the top has set and cheese has melted. Transfer the omelette to a baking tray and keep warm.
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil to the frying pan, add the peppers and sauté for 2 mins. Add the tomatoes and sauté for a further 1 min. Pour in half the remaining egg and and cook for about 3 mins or until the base has set. Sprinkle over a quarter of the cheese and pop the pan under the grill. Cook for 1-2mins o or until the top has set and cheese has melted. Transfer the omelette to a baking tray and keep warm.
- Finally stir the herbs into the remaining egg. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, add the herby egg mixture and cook for 2mins. Pop under the grill for a further 1-2mins or until the top of the eggs have set. Remove from the heat.
- Place the pepper and tomato omelette onto a plate, top with the leek omelette and finally top with the herb omelette. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and pop back under the grill for 1-2 mins or until the cheese has melted. Serve in wedges with salad if liked.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
British Lion eggs
Look for the Lion on eggs to guarantee the highest standards of food safety. All Lion Quality eggs come from British hens vaccinated against salmonella and are date-stamped for freshness.
More from British Lion eggs
Celebrity chef Marcus Wareing's fantastic recipe for baked egg custard tart serves 8, but be prepared for it to only serve 4 because everyone will want a double helping!
Daniel Costello's Spanish baked eggs recipe was chosen by celebrity chef Paul Merrett as a winning recipe in British Lion eggs' Eggs Factor competition
A fantastic recipe for brunch - it looks decadent and you'll soon be wanting it every day!
Popular in omelette recipes
If you're after a really fast and filling dinner, this pizza omelette is ready in 10 minutes and contains one of your five a day
A delicious Spanish recipe perfect for lunch or even breakfast!
This dish is a good way of adding extra vegetables to an athlete's diet, providing at least two of the recommended five a day portions.