Rotelline pasta with broad beans, asparagus & homemade pesto
Don't reach for the pesto jar for this pasta dish, why not try making your own?
- Preparation: 10 mins
- Cooking: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
What you need:
- 100g pine nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large bunch of basil, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 150g asparagus, tough ends removed
- 200g broad beans, podded (approx. 400g unpodded)
- 400g Rotelline pasta
What you do:
- To make the pesto, smash the pine nuts, garlic and basil in a pestle and mortar, then add the oil and Parmesan, season with salt and pepper, and set aside. OR blend in a food processer.
- Cut the tips off the asparagus and slice the rest.
- In a medium sized pan of boiling salted water blanch the broad beans and asparagus for 2 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Squeeze the beans out of their shells and set aside with the asparagus.
- In a large pan of salted boiling water, cook the pasta to the packet's instructions. At the last minute add the asparagus and broad beans, then drain and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in the pesto and divide between 4 warm bowls and serve
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
British beans and peas
British beans and peas evoke the taste of summers gone by. From June to September every year savour some of the freshest British Runner, Broad and Dwarf Beans and Peas that are home grown and bursting with goodness.
More from British beans and peas
Crunchy runner beans with fresh peas and healthy couscous - this is a super healthy vegetarian dish
Red wine and blue cheese in a risotto? The perfect, easy adult dinner
Not got your Sunday lunch planned yet? This lamb shoulder dish could be just what you're looking for!
Popular in pesto recipes
Pasta's a filling dish for the family and this cavolo nero pesto pasta is ready in just 15 minutes - perfect for mid-week meals
Delicious and healthy main meal recipe - perfect if you're starting the New Year on a health kick!