Irish boxty pancakes
A great alternative for breakfast!
- Preparation: 15 mins
- Cooking: 30 mins
- Serves: 6
What you need:
- 450g/1lb potatoes, peeled
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- 5ml/1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large British Lion egg, separated
- 100ml/4 floz buttermilk or natural yogurt
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a little oil for frying
- fried egg, grilled bacon and tomatoes to serve
What you do:
- Cut the potatoes into even chunks then cook in a large pan of boiling salted water for 10-15mins or until tender. Drain well, return to the pan then mash until smooth. Stir in the spring onions and leave to cool - spreading them thinly on a plate makes this happen quicker!
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl, sift over the flour, bicarbonate of soda, egg yolk and buttermilk, beat well and add plenty of salt and pepper. Whisk the egg white in a separate clean bowl, until it form stiff peaks, then fold into the potato mixture
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe around the pan with a piece of kitchen paper. Drop 3-4 spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook over a medium heat for about 8mins, turning once until golden - don’t cook over too high a heat or the outside will be golden before the centre is ready. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat to make about 16 pancakes in total. Serve hot with grilled bacon and tomato.
Handy cook's tip:
Get ahead: If you like, make the pancakes ahead and place them on a baking tray. Reheat at Fan 180C/200C/Gas Mark 6 for about 10mins before serving.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
British Lion eggs
Look for the Lion on eggs to guarantee the highest standards of food safety. All Lion Quality eggs come from British hens vaccinated against salmonella and are date-stamped for freshness.
More from British Lion eggs
Celebrity chef Marcus Wareing's fantastic recipe for baked egg custard tart serves 8, but be prepared for it to only serve 4 because everyone will want a double helping!
Daniel Costello's Spanish baked eggs recipe was chosen by celebrity chef Paul Merrett as a winning recipe in British Lion eggs' Eggs Factor competition
What could be more fun on Pancake Day than setting fire to your dessert?
Popular in pancake recipes
A new twist on pancakes and great for sharing! just make up some pancakes using flour, a pinch of salt, an egg and milk then wrap some hotdogs in the pancakes and serve.
Delicious savoury pancakes for everyone in the family!
Cheese, bacon, chives, sour cream, eggs and a few other ingredients all mixed together to create delicious savoury pancakes. Yum.