Christmas rum & raisin chocolate ice cream pudding
A tasty alternative to the traditional Christmas pudding
What you need:
- 100g raisins
- 150g dark rum
- 400g panettone or brioche (pre-sliced will be easier)
- Two x 500ml tubs Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Ice Cream
- Single cream to serve (optional)
What you do:
- Soak the raisins in the rum overnight.
- The following day, a few hours before you wish to serve it, assemble the pudding as follows.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften - but not completely melt - for around 30 minutes. Drain the raisins, reserving the unabsorbed rum. Take a 3 pint/1.5 litre pudding basin and line with a couple of lengths of cling film, ensuring there is plenty to fold over once the pudding is constructed.
- Once sufficiently softened, empty the ice cream into a large bowl, add the drained raisins and mix quickly and thoroughly, trying to limit further melting.
- Line the pudding basin with slices of panettone/brioche, making sure you reserve some for the lid. Some slices will need cutting up a bit to fill in the gaps. Sprinkle the bread with the reserved rum, saving a bit for the lid. NB. you can omit this and ditch the reserved rum if you prefer a less boozy pudding.
- Scoop the ice cream/raisin mix into the lined basin, pressing down a little to ensure there are no gaps. Fashion a lid out of slices of the remaining bread and sprinkle with the remaining rum. Wrap the edges of the cling film over the top of the bread lid. Place a suitably sized side plate over the top and press firmly but gently.
- Put in the freezer for the ice cream to re-harden (for at least four hours).
- When ready to serve, remove the basin from the freezer, remove the plate and unwrap the edges of the cling film to reveal the lid. Place a dinner plate on top and then invert. Pull off the basin and then peel off the cling film.
- Cut into wedges and serve with or without a splash of single cream and a glass of mulled wine!
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Green & Black's
At Green & Black’s, we’re a devoted group of chocoholics and are committed to crafting quality organic products using only the finest ingredients. We’ve stayed true to Green & Black’s founding principles by delivering the perfect balance of taste and ethics. This means we ensure that great care is taken to only source the best organic ingredients, to create a supreme addition to the iconic chocolate brand.
Popular in christmas recipes
This simple Christmas cake recipe makes a moist, delicious cake with a wonderful mixture of rich and fragrant tea-soaked fruits
The longer you soak the fruit for these Christmas cakes, the better the flavour will be. Then make the cake a few days before for a moisty gorgeous spongy texture. Heavenly!
This is a great way to finish off Christmas cake or as an alternative to Christmas pudding.