Broad bean, gruyere & bacon omelette
Omelettes don't have to be bad for you. Add broad beans and you've already got one of your five a day!
- Preparation: 15 mins
- Cooking: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
What you need:
- 250g podded broad beans
- 150g good quality streaky bacon rashers, diced
- 6 eggs
- 75g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 15g butter
- salt and pepper
What you do:
- Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Shell the beans and discard the skins if necessary, very small, young beans will be fine as they are.
- Heat a heavy based non-stick frying pan, preferably about 20cm in diameter, over a medium heat. Dry fry the bacon until cooked through and beginning to brown. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Wipe the pan out with paper towels to get rid of any excess fat.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add about two thirds of the cheese, a little salt and some pepper.
- Put the frying pan back on a medium heat and add the butter. When the butter has melted and is beginning to froth, add the beans and bacon followed by the egg and cheese mixture. Stir gently with a fork to combine, then leave to cook over a very low heat until set but still a little runny on top.
- Heat the grill. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the omelette and grill until the top has set.
- Serve the omelette warm or at room-temperature, cut into wedges, accompanied by a crisp salad.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Pure soy wax candles in Flack Fig & Vetiver or Lemon fragrances - perfect for any dinner party or romantic night in.
Buy now on Etsy
British beans and peas
British beans and peas evoke the taste of summers gone by. From June to September every year savour some of the freshest British Runner, Broad and Dwarf Beans and Peas that are home grown and bursting with goodness.
More from British beans and peas
Crunchy runner beans with fresh peas and healthy couscous - this is a super healthy vegetarian dish
Red wine and blue cheese in a risotto? The perfect, easy adult dinner
If you've got vegetarians over for dinner and no idea what to cook - this is an easy and delicious recipe