Spiced lamb meatballs
Try this as a delicious alternative to Sunday's roast lamb and serve with tomatoes, marjoram and braised potatoes
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
What you need:
For the meatballs:
- 450g/1lb lean lamb mince
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground mace
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground allspice
- 1.25ml/¼tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 1.25ml/¼tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp currants
- 45ml/3tbsp oil
For the vegetable braise:
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm/¾ inch cubes
- 6 late season tomatoes quartered
- 150ml/¼pint white wine
- 200ml/7floz good, hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 handful freshly chopped marjoram or flat-parsley
What you do:
- To prepare the meatballs, in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Shape the mixture into small balls the size of a walnut.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the meatballs for 4-5 minutes until brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 180°C, 350°F.
- Increase the heat under the same pan and add the shallots, carrot, celery and potatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the tomatoes.
- Add the wine and stock then transfer to a large casserole dish and add the meatballs.
- Cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Garnish with the marjoram or parsley and serve with a chicory and herb salad.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Quality Standard lamb
Quality Standard lamb is produced to higher standards than required by law with a supply chain which is fully assured and independently inspected at every stage from farm to meat counter. For more recipes visit the recipe club.
More from Quality Standard lamb
This Valentines Day, give offal a go and try something different by treating the one you love to a tasty dinner of Stuffed braised lamb's heart
A taste of the middle east, perfect for a mid-week supper
These burgers will keep your family coming back for more - they're easy to make and delicious!
Popular in meatball recipes
Serve with Brown Brothers Chenin Blanc, which has a touch of sweetness that tempers the heat of a spicy dish like this
What better way to enjoy a firm family favourite - meatballs - but to swap the rice or pasta for wholemeal tortilla wraps! Perfect when accompanied with low-fat soured cream
A quick and tasty dinner, suitable for the whole family.