Aldo Zilli's marinated sardines with olive oil, garlic & chilli
You should eat oily fish at least three times a week, so this recipe is great as it can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks - as long as the sardines are completely covered in oil. Alternatively, eat it sooner and reuse the marinade for another batch of fish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus marinating)
What you need:
- 12 fresh small sardines, boned
- 500 ml bottle white wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
What you do:
- Place the sardines in a flat dish and cover with the rest of the ingredients. Leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 12 hours.
- To finish, remove the sardines from the marinade and dip in a bowl of water. Pat dry with a kitchen cloth and place on a shallow plate.
- Sprinkle with the garlic, chilli and parsley and pour over the olive oil - make sure the fish is completely covered with the oil.
- Marinate for at least 3 hours before serving.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Try a recipe from Aldo Zilli's brand new recipe book, Zilli Light
- healthy Italian eating.
More from Zilli Light
Aldo says: "I am not the best at making cakes, but this one is so simple you cannot go wrong. Also in its favour - it can be made well in advance."
Popular in sardine recipes
It might be a while since you last ate a sardine, but once you've tried these, you won't forget them again