Thick chips, chicken skewers & black pepper dip
Blow your friends away with this fusion recipe, which combines the flavours from the East with classic cut chips from the West.
- Preparation: 20 mins
- Cooking: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
What you need:
For the chips:
- 4 large potatoes, preferably Maris Piper, King Edward (about 300g each)
- 2-3 tbsp of sunflower oil
For the chicken skewers:
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 450g skinless chicken breast, cut into long strips
For the dipping sauce:
- juice of 5 fresh limes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
What you do:
- Heat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Mix together the garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Add the chicken strips and toss to coat evenly. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine lime juice, sugar, black pepper and salt. Pour into individual dipping dishes.
- Square off four sides of each unpeeled potato, and then cut into thick even-shaped chips.
- Put the chips into a large pot of salted cold water, and bring to the boil. As soon as the water is boiling, drain the chips, and tip them onto kitchen paper to dry thoroughly.
- Put the dry chips into a large bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil and toss to coat all the chips with a covering of oil.
- Spread the chips onto a baking tray
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, shaking every now and again, until the chips are cooked and golden brown.
- Thread the chicken onto 8 skewers. Preheat the grill to medium and cook the skewers under the grill, for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
are the ultimate taste sensation that have stood the test of time. They're great value for money, quick and easy to cook and provide a wealth of essential nutrients.
More from Potato Council
Alex says: 'This is simply yummy, as spicy as you fancy with the King Edwards catching a lovely lick of the chicken's roasting juices.'
These fish fingers give the childhood favourite a modern makeover
A delicious side dish to serve with any curry or Indian meal
Popular in chicken recipes
While you're getting this together, why not double up on the ingredients and freeze a lovely chicken and leek pie for another time?
For a quick and easy evening meal, chicken, leek and Cheddar bake, with melt in the mouth cheese, will be a firm family favourite that takes just 10 minutes to prepare
Easy to prepare, these chicken dippers are perfect handed round at parties!